MAIN SCIENCE IDEAS
- Fruit from trees start out as blossoms in the spring.
- Trees need insects and bees to spread their pollen
- "Our Apple Tree" by Gorel Kristina Naslund and Kristina Digman. Focus on how trees need bees to help spread their pollen and grow the fruit.
- "Spring Blossoms" by Carole Gerber- talk about male and female blossoms and how bees help them "marry" and keep the blossom strong.
- "Hooray for Spring" by Iwamura
ACTIVITY: BLOSSOM NATURE WALK
After reading Spring blossoms, go on a nature walk and find some of the blossoms in the book, Bring home samples and tape/label in nature notebook.
Pick a tree to draw from Spring Blossoms. Draw the tree, then glue tissue paper to the limbs; pink, white or yellow blossoms depending on the tree.
Don't forget to draw the bees to help spread the pollen!